1. Not yet decided or settled; awaiting conclusion or confirmation.
2. Impending; imminent.
1. While in the process of; during.
2. While awaiting; until.
This pretty much sums up what life is like around here these days. On August 24th we accepted another offer on our home and we're in a process of preparing and hoping, yet knowing that nothing is actually "decided or settled". It ain't over 'til it's over. We have to act like it's a done deal, carry on as if we will indeed be moving out of our home on September 20th. We pack, we sort, we stare at walls that are looking a little bare, we plan the yard sale. We see friends "one last time", we cross one thing off our list only to add two more. We plan, we prepare, we wait. And we do all of this knowing that until we sign papers it's actually anyone's game.
My house is messier than it's been in weeks, maybe months. I'm not missing the stress of knowing a realtor could call at any time, but I've traded it for a countdown, piles of boxes, and a myriad of decisions to be made at any given moment. The kids have picked up on my mood and have their own belongings strewn about, sorting them into boxes of things to keep, gifts to give, items for the yard sale. I love their enthusiasm and willingness to let go of possessions that have been special to them. Granted, this is a lot easier for some than for others, and I'm trying to encourage each one to do what's comfortable for them. Peregrine enthusiastically brings me more and more things he's ready to part with and Poppy holds on a little more tightly.
So, what's next? That's the big question, and we're working hard to come up with an answer. Here's where we run into that bit that says, "Not yet decided or settled". Because of the possibility of the sale falling through, we don't feel we can make any plans that would commit us financially until we sign. You know, plans like buying tickets to Peru, that sort of thing. (Cough, cough.) Likewise, Erik doesn't want to give notice at work until the sale is finalized. He's talked to his supervisor and made them aware of the situation and they'll be fine with him only giving one week's notice. So the plan at this point is to be out of our home on the 20th. After that Erik will work one last week and we'll stay with some friends in the area.
While our long term goal is still to travel internationally, we have a number of good friends and family members we want to see before we blast off. When we looked athe places we'd need to go to see them all, we decided to make a road trip of it and spend October and November traveling around the US and Canada. We're actively searching for a used travel trailer that will be our home on wheels during this time. The kids are super excited about this idea, and that makes me feel good about it too. I think it will be an easier transition for them, giving them a place to call home while allowing them to see that home isn't really tied to a location. (Did that make any sense at all?)
So that's where we're at in our journey. It's exciting and a little scary, but we feel at peace with things. I'd love to have everything lined up and sure, but that's just not real life. Ever. We fool ourselves if we think we know what tomorrow will bring. It's good for us to live in that reality, trusting the "Wind" to blow us whichever way He chooses and actively looking to see Him shining light on the path as we walk forward in faith, one step at a time.